Keep Safe and Warm
Nearly three out of every four homes in Vermont depend on oilheat, kerosene, or propane for heat and hot water. These homeowners are encouraged to take the following steps to stay safe and warm.
• Blowing or drifting snow can block sidewall vents. If unobstructed these appliances can shut down or cause a dangerous release of carbon monoxide. Make sure sidewall heating vents are clear of obstructions.
• Mark the location of your heating fuel tank with a flag, pole, or stake – and keep path to tank clear.
• Check your chimneys, flue pipes, vent connectors, and propane tank for damage, blockage, or debris caused by snow and ice.
• Never use a portable generator indoors or in enclosed areas. This can result in carbon monoxide poisoning or death. Keep portable generators outside and ten feet from the house.
• Never use a stove for space heating and never use outdoor propane appliances indoors or in enclosed areas.
The top priority for heating fuel marketers is keeping Vermonters warm and safe this winter. Working together we can ensure that the fuel arrives safely and is used efficiently.
Avoid a Heating Emergency
If you are a “will call” customer, please read your gauge and call when you have a 1/4 of a tank left.
Keep heating vents clear of snow and ice, and make sure that carbon monoxide and smoke detectors are installed in your home. If a vent is obstructed, an appliance may malfunction and create a dangerous build-up of carbon monoxide.
If tanks are located behind their home or business, consumers should ensure that fence gates can be opened and there is a clear path for deliveries. A hundred foot heating fuel hose can weigh more than 100 pounds.
If there is no heat but there is fuel in your tank:
Check the thermostat. The burner may not start unless the thermostat setting exceeds the actual room temperature by about 3-degrees F.
Check your pipes. You may have frozen pipes which need to be unthawed with a heat gun or hair dryer— never with an open flame.
Check the main electric burner emergency switch to make sure that the power is in the ON position. This switch is typically located at the top of the cellar stairway, and/or on the heating unit. It is often red.
Examine the fuses or breaker panel to see if the circuit has blown.
If the burner still does not run or fails to keep running, call your fuel dealer or a certified heating technician.