The state of Vermont adopts and enforces nationally recognized safety codes to protect Vermonters from the risk of fire, explosion and carbon monoxide poisoning. All individuals engaged in the inspection, installation, and service of Propane (LP) or Natural Gas systems must be certified as required under the Vermont Fire and Building Safety Code.

For more information contact the Vermont Division of Fire Safety at 802-885-8883 or

online at

Below is a list of frequently asked questions about obtaining the necessary certifications

for working with gas in Vermont.

Q: What certifications are needed to work with propane in the state of Vermont? 

A: In order to work in a public building (any building other than single family owner

  1. occupied) in the state of Vermont, you need a Vermont Propane Certificate of Fitness.

Q: How do I get a Vermont Propane Certificate of Fitness?

A: You need to pass the National Propane Gas Association (NPGA) Certified Employee

  1. Training Program (CETP). CETP (pronounced "SEE-tep") is a formal structure for training, testing and documentation to assure that workers in the propane industry have the necessary knowledge and skills to perform their work safely and effectively. Once you pass CETP, you can apply for a Vermont Propane Certificate of Fitness. CLICK HERE to download the application.

Q: What CETP courses are required by the state of Vermont in order to obtain a

  1. Propane Certificate of Fitness?

A:  Books 1, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3 (formerly 6) & 7 are required for installation and service work.  

  1. If you are already Natural Gas Certified, only Books 1, 4.1 & 4.2 are required. Propane drivers are required to take CETP Books 1 & 2.

Q: Do I have to take continuing education credits to maintain my Vermont Propane

  1. Certificate of Fitness?

A: Yes. You need 8 hours of Vermont approved propane continuing education credits,

  1. including 2 hours CO venting, every three years to maintain your state certificate.


Q: Who offers CETP and continuing education classes for propane?

A: We do! VFDA provides all the necessary courses for propane technicians to get

  1. certified, as well as the continuing education courses to stay certified. CLICK HERE

  2. for a list of current classes offered by the Vermont Fuel Education Center.

Q: I am propane certified but the state of Vermont has no record of it. Why?

A: When students become oil heat or propane certified they need to send in copies of

  1. their certificates to the state. If the technician does not do this, the state will not have any record of it.

Q:  My certificate is expired, what do I do now?

A:  The technician must take 8 propane CEUs, including 2 hrs C/O Venting, and submit

  1. them to the state with the appropriate fees and application.

Q:  I need copies of my certificates.  Where can I get them?

A:  If you need a copy of your CETP Certificate you will need to order them through ITS.

CLICK HERE to download the CETP Duplicate Certificate Request. If you need a copy of your CETP Renewal Certificate, call VFDA or email

Q. What are the current adopted codes by the state of Vermont

A. The current codes are:

  1. NFPA 1 Unified Fire Code 2006 Edition

  2. NFPA 30 Flammable and Combustible Liquids Code 2003 Edition

  3. NFPA 54 ANSI Z223.1-2002 National Fuel Gas Code 2006 Edition

  4. NFPA 58 Liquefied Petroleum Gas Code 2004 Edition

CLICK HERE to download the Vermont Propane Certificate of Fitness application form

CLICK HERE for a list of current classes offered by the Vermont Fuel Education Center

CLICK HERE to review a list of all certified propane technicians